Graphic Design- About My Work

I am not just an artist. I am a designer. Every project I’ve enjoyed making, every piece of work I’ve created, is built upon a precept to capture the essence of and mold that "root" proposal into the way it needs to be so it shines in the final result. I won't dive into every project I posted since they all hold that initial principle to design an idea and bring it to life, but I will talk about a few. 

My first ever thoroughly designed project that set me out on a love for publication type design was Project 4 “Tokyo Trek.” This little treat of a brochure involved me creating a travel company and a destination into a cohesively design concept with the printed layout to keep in mind. I broke the information I knew I needed down and then I built it all back up so that both information about the company and the example destination could share the same space in a coherent fashion. I also made sure to make it visually appealing as well, with strategically placed photos, faded background images, and a company logo to really express a brochure centered around a Tokyo destination. 

Project 6 (and 8) was a branding redesign for the Ville Bella Cafe involving extensive background research. I took the time to speak with Johnny Morris to take photos of the place, cupcakes, and menu for my class project. I began thinking of design layouts that would unite and capture the pleasant feeling of the cafe as the place had disparate designs between the signs, menu, and website. I decided it would be best to stick with the serif font Trojan 2 for the cafe font name as it holds a traditional touch (yet easy readability) like how cafes have a traditional touch in societies across the globe. Montserrat was the second typeface, a sans serif that was used for its clear readability, but done in grey to coincide with the bright blue that would be used for its inviting color. Photographs of the cupcakes became the establishing front and back of the menu, and finally, carefully selected photos of food items would be cohesively placed in the overall design to make a fun fresh exciting menu experience for customers.

I have a big love for publication type work but motion graphics is a growing love I anticipate mastering throughout next year and my gateway is Project 11.2 "Alien Amy's Adventures." It's not just a growing love for watching video and graphics work together, but it's also a practical skill I want to develop in this multi-media driven world. I have a deeper appreciation for how time consuming motion graphics can be but also how rewarding the final results are. I plan on delving into more special effects, editing techniques, and informational graphics as I merge my graphic design skills with video.